Friday, July 3, 2009

Foodie Fun - CIA forrage

I have disigned this as an outlet. For myself, for my freinds and aquaintences and for anyone interested in food, fun, learning and education.

I am a cook. a chef. A jack of all trades; master of none. All I know if that food runs through my veins. I eat, sleep, dream and create food. I love it. Everything food I want to know more about.

I have recently accepted a job which does not allow me to cook anymore. As a result of this there is a HUGE void left in my life, one which I have filled with dinner parties, private catering and day dreaming of cooking again during otherwise boring management meetings.
This isn't about me, but it is written by me and will thus have my inflection.
I want to write about my travels, my experiences, and my day to day struggles with my current identity crisis.

To start off:

I live in the Hudson Valley and am subsequently very close to the CIA in Hyde Park.
I am a graduate myself, as are many of my friends. Long story short, anyone who has ever gone to the CIA, knows that summer vacation is 3 weeks, and always starts just before the 4th of July.
Yesterday was the last day of classes before the break, You can imagine how much food is leftover. It is given away to the students and faculty.

Well...
I had an opportunity to utilize some alumni privilages and made some collections myself.
Some wonderful Greuyer, and manchego cheeses.
House made salami's and hams, wild mushrooms, exotic herbs.
My refridgerator is currently a plethera of exotic and ottherwise expensive foods. I LOVE IT.

My first meal from my forrage was a simple Tuna wrap.
I carmelized some Shallots, grated some manchego and went to town.
The end result was a beautiful combination, of solid white albacore tuna salad, sweet and crunchy shallots, and a delightful creaminess of the Manchego.

It is an interesting, and non-traditional combination of flavors, ingredients and methods; however it did offer a delightful sandwich.

Recipie is as follows:
Solid white albacore tuna - 1 cn
Mayonaise - 1.5 oz
Relish - 1 Tb
Manchego cheese (grated) - 2 oz
Shallot - 2 oz
S+P - TT

1. Slice the shallots into 1/16" slices lengthwise
2. Carmelize the shallots in a very hot pan, with about .5 oz of oil.
3. Grate manchego cheese.
4. Incorporate all ingredients.

Enjoy.

More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment